Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kids say the darndest things...

This week, there was no TPX due to VBS. Because our church is awesome and run by volunteers, we have VBS from 6-8:45 pm Sunday - Thursday...

At the beginning, my intentions were to have very little to do with VBS, maybe wrangling the TPX volunteers... however, I've learned that as an intern, one can go into very little expecting to do nothing. "Can you be a teacher?" Sure. "Can you come and help decorate?" Sure. "My high schoolers didn't show up, can you MC?" Sure. So not only was I teaching 8 and 9 year olds but I also spent some time wearing an inter tube making a fool out of myself on stage. As if anyone could ever doubt that I was not supposed to go into ministry...

I'm sure, that anyone else out there in church land has also experienced the wonder that is Lifeway's "Outrigger Island." Here's a favorite story from my adventures...

After giving my kids the "A B C" sailboat (you know, the standard VBS take home that discusses becoming a Christian) one comes up to me and says:

-Admit to God you're a sinner, what does that mean?
-Well, it means that you tell God that sometimes you do bad things.
-I don't do any bad things.
-You've never done anything bad in your whole life?
-*pauses for thought* No.
-You've never lied?
-Well, sometimes I say something that's not true but I say just kidding.
-You've never not cleaned your room when your mom told you to?
-No. I always do it.
-Right away?
-Well sometimes I wait a couple minutes if my show is almost over, but then I do it!
-Ok. Well, you think about it and come back to me.
THE NEXT DAY
-When I was a baby, I said cuss words, but I didn't know they were bad, so I prayed to God for forgiveness.
-Ok, good.

Shall we say 2nd and 3rd graders are not my calling? I think we shall. This was, of course, the same girl who said "My mom had me when she was 18. Don't say oh my gosh!" Hahaha. Kids-- they're so cute. Unfortunately, I will miss the last day of VBS due to work... bummer.

In other news, I met with Joey this morning and we discussed prayer. More than anything, it made me miss the good ol' days of youthfront summers past with morning prayer, midday, and compline. We discussed the difference between prayer and prayerfulness. Prayer is not only something we say to God and then check off a list, prayer is engaging God in all of our thoughts and actions. Thus Paul's command to "pray without ceasing" becomes much more than "pray a lot" or worse, something impossible. Instead, we must engage in a prayerful lifestyle...

It's good good.

Worlds of Fun on Saturday to see David Crowder and Mercy Me. It's gonna be awesome. Furthermore, I'm excited about camp. Only 5 weeks from today I will be back at OBU. Crazy.

May God give you opportunity to serve Him super-abundantly.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ha i definately gasp when you said "5 weeks from today till OBU!"
ahhhhh!!! YAYAYAYY!!

that story about the Kid was hilarious. LOVE>