Saturday, July 19, 2008

Comercialized Christianity

Took the TPX-ers to a gianormous concert at WOF, headlining David Crowder Band and Mercy Me.

Good things:
1) I had lots of fun hanging out with all my other volunteers.
2) "John" see previous post made a comment about how we are the only people who would bring him back to WOF. Made my heart smile. :)
3) David Crowder was really good live. I'm really glad I got to see him.
4) Rousing games of spot the mullet and/or fanny pack.
5) My sweet action "I Fed One" t-shirt... I got a shirt and fed 100 people for $15. It's a sweet organization... CHECK THEM OUT.

Bad things:
1) So many christian t-shirts.
2) LONG lines. (I don't think I've ever seen this many people at WOF)
3) Not gonna lie, my feet hurt like a MUG right about now.
4) $7, burnt, bad-tasting pizza. :(

The night left me thinking... Christian concerts are always at least slightly awkward because no one knows whether to worship or party (I generally choose both). Overall, the event left a bad taste in my mouth, I think in part due to my own cynicism, but also because I couldn't help but notice how commercialized everything was. I couldn't help but note the irony, that my shirt that fed 100 people cost $15, then my pretzel with cheese cost $4.

James said, "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." I wonder if now it would read something to the effect of "Show me your faith on your t-shirt, and I will show you my faith by what I do." I wonder if we substitute Christian shirts for Christian lifestyles, and huge worship events for service. Someone asked, "Why do we come to these events?" My first thought? "Because it's easier that loving kindness, doing justice, and walking humbly with God." Something just seems wrong when I watch someone pray for God to receive all the glory while they are in a spotlight.

So my question is, would people know you were a Christian if you never wore a t-shirt that said so? How many of those shirts with the dorky Christian logos were made by slaves? (Cotton is one of the number one slave exports.) If all of those people at Heartfest found one ministry to volunteer with, how different would KC look?

In fairness, I'm not a huge Mercy Me fan. But I wonder if Jesus would take our merch tables and flip them over, asking why we are selling things instead of praying.

Adam
brought up an excellent point. One Way Caravan is playing worship at our camp in one week. I really like them and I want to support their ministry. They are going to want to set up a merch table. But I am not ok with, "Hey, we just worshiped and so if you like what you heard, come buy our cd." In fairness, we are paying them and supporting their ministry in that way. How do we deal with that? I'll let you know the outcome.

Oh, for those of you who think I especially attack Christian t-shirts... it's true, I'm not a fan. Why? Because my parents hate them. Anything that turns my parents off Christianity immediately receives strikes that will be very hard to earn back in my book. Here are some acceptable christian shirts: 1) you received it at an event, 2) it only has a bible verse on it... oh, wait, that's about all I can think of. Unacceptable t-shirts include 1) anything that took something not originally about Jesus and made it about Jesus, 2) anything hugely obnoxious (aka, covered in flames or Jesus face huge on the back), 3) anything that talks about Hell. Why the last one? The only people Jesus talked to about Hell were the people who were really good at church. Glad I could keep you all up to date on acceptable Jesus-wear.

James 2:17- In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
If you can not feed 100 people, just feed one. - Momma T

No comments: