Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blessed are the eyes that see what you see...

...For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. -- Luke 10:23-24

This was Mike's theme verse for our week at camp and I think it was very applicable. I'll skip straight to the good stuff, the highlights:

First night: we'd just gotten off the bus, ate dinner, had a session. Together with 4 other adults, I'm leading a 23 student small group, mostly high schoolers. I was praying, "Jesus, who do I need to talk to after this? What do I need to say?" One boy's face lights up, like a spotlight. "Really, him?" I thought as I looked at our resident football player... very intimidating for a nerd like me. "Yes him." "Why?" "Because I like watching you squirm." Awesome. So I wait and wait and I can see this intense hunger for Jesus on his face. It was awesome. So afterward I grabbed him and we talked about being "strong and courageous," and how it takes real strength and courage to follow God. We talked about leaving behind all the things that are in the way. I told him, "If you ever need to talk, I'm here." "I appreciate that, Veronica." Hug. It was weird and so awesome. Jesus did incredible things with that kid. Love it.

We also had the girl who pushed past the drama (at least momentarily) to figure out that her identity is based on Christ, not on what others think of her. Did she make huge strides? Maybe not. But there was a seed, for sure.

Another favorite, the girl who moved here a year ago to get away from her past, invites a friend from the past who meets the Jesus that changed her life and accepts Him for the first time. She always puts me to shame in the way she describes God's activity in her own words, no churchy flash or frills. Before this week she knew Jesus had forgiven her of her past. This week she forgave herself and realized that He still can, and desires to, use her in huge ways.

Then, there was the girl who wanted nothing to do with Christ. Came to camp and I heard her pray, "God, speak to me, because I want to hear your voice for the first time."

Several high school boys are realizing their leadership potential and stepping up to the plate.

Everyday we had so many scheduled activities that were empty in favor of free volleyball, playing BS in the cabins, and just sitting around and talking. Our students really decided to make Christ the number one reason to be at camp. It was incredible.

These TPX kids blow my mind.

Some things I learned on a personal level:

To be a leader means that whatever you do, people will follow. When Paul says "Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ," I think he knew that everyone was going to follow him anyway. So my challenge is, if people follow me, will they be following the example of Christ? Exhibit A: I had pink hair for TPX weekend, I came home and half my youth had pink hair. Funny, huh? Sometimes being a leader means nothing more than choosing excellence, and thereby enabling those around you to do the same.

At the end of the week I experienced lots of jealousy because I got the same recognition as someone who I felt did very little work compared to the work I did. But, I was most frustrated with myself that my reaction would be one so entirely fleshly as jealousy. I told Jesus I didn't want that anymore. He told me that if I want to work for him, I'm not going to get recognition very often... and I need to be ok with that. I think that receiving recognition will either amount to pride or validation. For me, it is generally pride. And so I must learn not to want recognition, to keep my pride in check. It was so humbling.

Another butt-kicker: Jesus has informed me that my job upon returning to school is to transfer my passion for these students to the ministries He has given me at OBU. My heart must be as filled with love for them as it is here... after all, He has set me up in both positions.

Overall, doing ministry with the people I do it with has taught me several things. The trap is set for us to get caught up in drama or circumstance. Admittedly, these things will make life harder... but these are just a cover up for the real issues. If the enemy can keep us there and away from what is really between us and God, he has had a small victory. The fact that one of my girl's boyfriend isn't talking to her is just the side issue to the fact she bases her identity completely on what other people think. The parents who do a crappy job can simply become excuses not to embrace God's love.

It's good.

The summer has been incredible. My eyes have seen so many things and feel very blessed. I, for one, am simply excited that I get to keep coming back to these people I love. I can't believe how fast time flies, or how quickly they grow up.


May You see the ways that God is moving around you, and ask Him for a piece. :)

1 comment:

Brad Lee Bartlett said...

I liked that. :D

Jesus is a pretty cool dude. Especially when He manifests Himself through some pretty awesome kids!